Monday, 19 August 2013

'Cause it's a long way down from the mountain to the ground, and it's a long way there; going nowhere...

Two posts in one day?? I'm pretty much a superhero.

Before you point out the differences in the dates, it's 1:11am and I haven't been to bed, so it counts. No one can tell me otherwise. It also counts as my post for tomorrow, so bonus!
Stop judging me. I'm a rebel. I'll do what I want.

It's been a while, and people have been asking (which is all kinds of awesome that I can't even begin to explain), so I present to you...HEAT.

We're still not at the end of Chapter Two. Enjoy the awkward car ride to school.

Please let me know what you think, even if you hate it. Nothing is scarier than page views without any kind of feedback.*

 
 
TITLE LYRICS: 'Running Down The Aisle' by Morning Parade
(Purely because the song was playing while I proof read this and it felt fitting, somehow)
 
*Pages views + silence = Crippling anxiety and oh-gosh-everyone-hates-me-and-my-work-and-I-should-just-crawl-into-hole-and-stay-there-forever.
 
If you need to get caught up, you can do it HERE.

CHAPTER TWO:
DREAMS (continued)
Arthur seemed content enough to drive to school in silence so I stared out the window, noting the turns he made and the names of the streets we passed. After a couple of minutes he breathed out heavily, seeming to psych himself up.
“So,” he said gruffly. “Ready for your first day?”
I stiffened. I liked it better when we were driving in silence.
“Yes, thank you.” I wrapped my arms around my waist. Maybe if I squeezed hard enough, I could hold myself together.
He was silent for a minute, as though he was trying to figure out what to say next.
“It’s a good school,” he said eventually, keeping his eyes on the road. “You’ll get a good education there, as long as you study. You a good student?”
I shrugged. “I do my best.”
“Good,” he muttered. “Good…”
After a few more minutes of awkward silence he pulled up out the front of the school. It was significantly smaller than my school in California and looked like it could only house about 500 people; a small cry from my previous high school of over 2500 students.
“Well, here we are,” he said, cutting off the engine. “You need me to… To come in with you?”
I shook my head vigorously. “No. I mean, no thank you. I’ll be fine.”
He looked relieved.
“Well, I’ll be back to pick you up at three.”
“I can walk,” I said quickly. “I can find the way.”
He scratched his chin thoughtfully. He needed to shave. “You sure?”
I nodded, opening the door and hopping out of the car.
“Positive. I’ll be fine. Thanks for the ride.”
He nodded once and started the engine. “Alright. Well, have a good day.”
“Thanks.” I closed the door and stepped back, watching as he pulled away from the curb and drove away. I stayed where I was, staring into the space where his car had been. A clap of thunder jolted me out of my stupor and I turned to face the school, scanning the tan coloured buildings for the administration block. I spotted it in the distance and, with a heavy heart, I willed my feet to move towards it.