Saturday, 3 August 2013

Chasing a dream so real...


I started writing this blog post last night, but I managed to convince myself that listening to music and trolling on Twitter was a far less scary option, so that’s what I did instead. Not today!! I WILL follow my dreams, and this right here, this is the first step.

Last night I was searching through my writing folder (aptly named ‘literary junk’) for a short story to post so I didn’t have to come up with something new (Shut up. That’s not cheating.) I read through quite a few of them, and discovered two things:

1)      I am one SICK LITTLE KIDDIE. Pretty much all my main characters meet some unfortunate end.

2)      I miss Noah.

 

Who’s Noah, no-one asked? Well, since you insist… Aside from being the fictional love of my life, he’s one of the main characters in the YA series I’m writing. I finished Book One about six months ago, and I’m currently dying a slow and painful death in the tenth level of Query Letter Hell.  Yep, I wrote an entire book. No big.* I’ve started work on Book Two, but it’s slow going as I keep editing and editing (and editing and editing and editing and editing) Book One and my query letter to get them ready to send out into the big bad publishing world. It will be a minor miracle if my query letter EVER sees the light of day. So in the meantime, I thought I’d post the first 500ish words on here, just to see what people think…My heart is going nuts, my hands are shaking and I legitimately feel sick, but I believe in following my dreams, so that’s what I’m going to do. So, without any further stalling and delay tactics, I present to you the first 500 words of my YA novel HEAT.

I hope you like it.

 

*Let’s all just take a moment to anti-dance over that fact that I wrote a novel. An entire novel! With words! And pages! And words on pages!! And the hounds with bees in their mouth so that when they bark they spit out bees! Wait…What?

 

TITLE LYRICS: ‘Up In The Air’ by Thirty Seconds To If I Have to Tell You You Haven’t Been Paying Attention
 
 
 
 
 

 

 
GLOW
 
My world was passing me by.
Well, technically, I was the one passing it by. I was the one leaving it all behind. I shifted in my seat, watching as everything I knew and loved became a small dot on the horizon in the rear view mirror.
“How are you doing?”  Eva asked, casting me a sidelong glance.
Well, my mother is dead and I’m being shipped off to live with an aunt and uncle I’ve never met.
“Fine,” I mumbled, turning my body away from her.
I heard her sigh as I stared studiously out the window.
“I know this must be hard,” she said, putting on that forced I’m here for you voice that all social workers seemed to have. I shuffled closer to the door.
“It won’t be as bad as you think,” she continued, ignoring the fact that my body language was clearly indicating I didn’t want to talk to her. “You’re very lucky we were able to locate a family member willing to take custody of you at such short notice. Normally in cases such as this one we would have to place you with a foster family, which can be very difficult at your age.”
“Cases such as this one?” I muttered, still staring out the window. “You mean cases where parents die and leave their children alone and homeless?”
Eva flinched, and I smiled grimly. Maybe now she’d shut up and leave me alone.
“Aurora,” she started. Apparently she couldn’t take a hint. Using as little movement as possible, I pulled my phone from my pocket and plugged my headphones in.
“Aurora.” She reached across the centre console to still my hands. “I’m so sorry for your loss. I’m sorry that—”
“My loss?” Heat rose up from the pit of my stomach and I turned to face her, ignoring the prickling in the corners of my eyes. “I didn’t lose my mom. She’s dead. I didn’t leave her somewhere and forget where I put her. I won’t stumble across her one day and say ‘oh there she is; she was under the couch all along!’ She’s gone!” I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand as the heat spread through my abdomen, threatening to bubble to the surface. I breathed in deeply, trying my best to stuff it back down.
“I know,” she said softly. “I—”
“You don’t know anything,” I spat, ripping my hands away from her. I stuffed my headphones into my ears and turned up my music. Out of the corner of my eye I saw her open her mouth to protest, but a moment later she closed it without saying a word. I folded my arms around myself and turned away from her, watching as we left behind the last landmarks of the city that I grew up in, the city I had called home for the first seventeen years of my life.
***
 

 
If you want to read more, I've posted a longer excerpt HERE.
Thanks for reading!
Xo