Tuesday, 12 November 2013

In Defence Of Our Dreams: DREAMER

In Defence Of Our Dreams’ is a project where I interview various people about their pursuit of a creative life. Pursing creativity and wanting to do something different or special with your life can be very challenging and disheartening at times, so I’ve always loved to read how other people are coping with it and how they find the drive to carry on when things are difficult. If you’d like to know more or you’d like to take part, look HERE.


 
Today I have the honour of interviewing my partner in crime, the lovely @DreamerToMars. She and I have been going through this journey together, and I couldn’t think of a better person to share this experience with. Earlier this week I sat down with Dreamer and we discussed books, boys and bands. My three favourite Bs!

 

Hi, Dreamer! Thanks for joining me in Query Letter Hell! Uh…I mean for In Defence Of Our Dreams. But you were with me in Query Letter Hell, so it still counts! Why don’t you start by telling us a little bit about yourself?
Hmm…Well I’m a dreamer, I’m a believer (#Echelon) and I spend most of my time lost in fantasy worlds! Let’s face it – so much more fun that reality!

Here’s the basic stats:  34yr old female, single mother to a little boy and just started kickboxing.

Oh, and I love to write!

 

Great! So you’re a writer…What type of novels do you write?
My preferred genre is the supernatural, paranormal and preternatural.  Personally I love writing about things that I’d love to be real – a universe with all the creatures that go bump in the night. 

 

Sounds like my kind of books! Can you tell us a little about the project you are working on now?
I’ve usually got several projects on the go! But honestly, I’m trying to not spread myself too thinly and work on just the one for now.  It’s an adult werewolf novel which addresses the changes that the female lead must endure; entering into pack life, bowing to the Alpha of the pack and generally working with the changes to her new life. This one is (hopefully!) gritty and there are plenty of plot twists that (again, hopefully!) you won’t see coming.

 

Sounds very interesting!! What is the hardest part about writing a novel?
Sometimes I think one of the hardest things is finding something that hasn’t been done before and putting your own mark on it.  There’ve been plenty of times that I’ve drawn up a really awesome outline for a novel, only to find that it’s already been done.

BUT – I’d say the hardest thing is actually taking that huge step; believing in yourself and following the dream – and by that I mean taking the leap and submitting your work to agents and publishers.  Sure, I’ve written a few novels now and the people who have read them have really enjoyed them, but it has taken me years to pluck up the courage to approach literary agents.  Scary!

 

I know for me personally, allowing other people to read my work is like an endless battle between ‘please read my work’ and ‘Oh dear God please don’t read it.’ Would you agree, or are you happy to share your words with the world?
Totally agree with that.  Sure, it’s my ultimate dream to become a published writer and see my books in stores… BUT it’s so scary!!  Right now I’ve got a good friend beta reading for me and it is sooooooooo scary!  Will they like it?  Do they think it sucks?  What am I doing?!  ARGGGGHHHH!!!!

 

Amen to that! It is really quite daunting to share your work with others, because it is like giving them your soul on a page. Or maybe that’s just me :p I do love it, though…What do you like the most about being a writer?
The freedom to let my warped mind travel whichever path it wants to take. The freedom to live my life vicariously through the characters who come alive in my mind.

 

I couldn’t agree with that more. In fact sometimes I think that if I could permanently move into my head, I’d be a very happy lady. What do you do outside your life as a Literary Superstar?
HA!  As I mentioned, I’m a mum to my 7yr old boy, which is a 24/7 job as any parent knows.  And I’ve started kickboxing!  That was another dream I never thought I’d have the guts to fulfil, but I’m doing it. PROVEHITO IN ALTUM! [Which means Launch forth into the deep, for those non-Mars-obsessed folk out there. That is a thing, right? People who don’t like Mars??]


 
What kind of books do you like to read? What does it take for you to love a book?
Again, it’s mainly of the supernatural genre, such as JR Ward, Rachel Caine and Richelle Mead.  I also enjoy some of the ‘erotic’ novels that are around these days, such as those by Tara Sue Me, J Kenner and Sylvia Day.
  

 
Now I know that like me, you fall in love with fictional characters. If you could date any boy from a book, who would you choose and why?
Oh my gosh!! Too many to choose from! I gotta admit – I’m a total book-whore. If I had to go for one right now, off the top of my head, I’d say I love Zsadist from The Black Dagger Brotherhood by JR Ward. He’s the ultimate bad boy with a broken past.  Or maybe Wrath? Or Rehvenge?  Can I have all the Blackdagger Brothers? Please? See?! So hard to choose!!



Ahahaha, a book whore. You know what, when it comes down to it…(whispers) so am I. Nothing wrong with that! Fictional loves are the best kind of loves in my eyes :p Who or what inspires you?
There are many people who inspire me – like my son.  He has some disabilities but he keeps on battling on and refuses to be treated any different than other kids.

And (well, this one is an obvious one if you know me!!) Jared Leto. Dreamer.  Believer.  *Swoons* :D
 

 
Can I swoon with you?? Yes? Awesome. *Swoons. Passes out from swooning too hard. Regains consciousness a few minutes later, armed with her next question* Now we can’t talk about inspiration without talking about music. It’s all about the muse[ic]! Who are your favourite bands?
Hmmm…Let me think…


 

Silly question, right?? I have to ask it because as you know, I believe there is nothing more important than your taste in music! It tells me so much about you. So here’s another music question…If you had to sum your life up in a single lyric, what would that lyric be?
Okay – can I cheat on this one?  To sum it up in a single lyric, I need to do our @EchelonWriters mash-up:

We Will Fight To The Death In Defence Of Our Dreams

I’ll never stop dreaming, and I’ll never stop believing.

 

I’ll allow it. Excellent choice. If your life had a soundtrack, what would your theme song be?
It would have to be ‘The Race’ by Thirty Seconds to Mars, particularly the lyric ‘You saved my life, with blood and through sacrifice’.

 

Hmm. I’m sensing a theme here! If you woke up tomorrow in a perfect world, what would that look like for you?
With Jared Leto. In bed…

Damn! I’m so predictable! HA!

My son would be exactly who and what he wants to be, we’d be happy and I’d be a published author with a successful writing career.

 

Well then! Moving right along…What’s the best part about pursuing a creative career?
I can work around my home life.  With a creative career, it doesn’t matter where the mood takes you. You can indulge in your fantasies anywhere – such as writing down ideas on a napkin in McDonalds. This is a dream you can follow ANYWHERE.  There are no limits.

 

So true. I’ve been known to write down ideas and plot points on napkins myself! Final question…If you could offer one piece of advice to those who are working towards living their dreams, what would that advice be?
Do it. Go for it. Don’t delay, don’t wait around for it to happen – go out there and do it for yourself.  Dreams don’t just land in your lap. You have to work for what you want in this life, but never stop dreaming of bigger and better. X

 

Love it. Thank you so much for taking part, my partner in crime!
Thank you for all your support – so glad we’re going through this together! XO

So I am :3
 

If you’d like to know more about Dreamer, you can find her…

On Twitter: @DreamerToMars

And on Twitter again: @KWriterFromMars

And on Twitter again: @EchelonWriters

Damn! This girl is EVERYWHERE!

 

You can also read more about Dreamer’s shenanigans on her blog:
 

 

 

This interview has been edited, but the overall answers have not been changed or manipulated.