Friday, 3 January 2014

In Defence Of Our Dreams: INDIA

In Defence Of OurDreams’ is a project where I interview various people about their pursuit of a creative life. Pursing creativity and wanting to do something different or special with your life can be very challenging and disheartening at times, so I’ve always loved to read how other people are coping with it and how they find the drive to carry on when things are difficult. If you’d like to know more or you’d like to take part, look HERE.

 

 
Today I have the pleasure of interviewing my fellow writer and creative-life-pursuer (that’s a thing, okay) India. First interview of the year! Go team!

 

Hi India! Thank you for taking part in The Pursuit Of A Creative Life. First of all, tell us a little bit about yourself.

My name's India. I'm 17. I was born in D.C., but I was raised in Maryland for my entire life. I've had a continuous passion for writing for six years. I also have a passion for art and drawing. I have read over 300 books in the past four years. I'm currently a senior in high school. I'm a 4.0 AP student, but I don't think I want to be known for that.

 

 

You’re a journalist and a fiction writer. Can you tell us a little bit about that?

Last year I was the editor of my school's newspaper and wrote a variety of articles from music reviews to editorials, but unfortunately I moved and my current school doesn't have a school newspaper. I was introduced into the world of fiction by the Twilight and Harry Potter series. After reading the novels, I wanted to be famous for having an impact on the world through writing.

 

 

An admirable goal! Who or what inspires you?

My main inspirations are my mother, who has made it through so much and made it through in one piece, Thirty Seconds To Mars, who have helped my through a lot by not only their music but also their message to never give up, and J.K. Rowling because I believe that her writing is just so detailed and her background story relates to me.

 

Pretend you’ve been given the power to do anything you want to do without fear of failure. What would you do?

If I were given the chance to do something without the chance of failure, I probably go for my goals of attending UCLA rather than staying local and not risking messing up in life.

 

 

You know what they* say…“Try and fail, but never fail to try.” It can be really hard to let go of that fear, though. What is the hardest part about pursuing a creative life?

 
I think the hardest part about pursuing a creative career path is the uncertainty of success. There’s probably a higher demand rate for ‘common’ jobs rather than there is for writers or other creative professions. I've heard countless stories of writers not making it. Even my old journalism teacher told me stories about how he used to eat ramen noodles and not have much until he finally got somewhere.

 

That uncertainty can be very daunting. Still, we wouldn’t give up our creative goals for anything, right? What do you like the most about pursuing a creative life?

I love that there's no one to tell your brain how to work. People can't tell you what to believe or how to act. You get the opportunity to put your opinions and emotions into your work and no one can change that.

 

I love that. It’s so true. I love the freedom of expression in all forms of art, be it traditional artworks, dance, writing or music. And speaking of music...Who are your favourite bands? It’s a vital question!

 
My favourite band by far is Thirty Seconds To Mars. I'm an Echelon, but I also listen to My Chemical Romance (I'm also a Killjoy), Pierce the Veil, Imagine Dragons, Linkin Park and Paramore, just to name a few. Although those are my favourite bands, I listen to just about everything from Taylor Swift to J.Cole.

 

Can I just say, you have excellent taste in music. If your life had a soundtrack, what would your theme song be?

If I had a soundtrack to my life "City of Angels" would be my theme song. In the song it says "I'm seventeen and looking for a fight." That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm fighting to overcome the many obstacles in my life so I can get to the City of Angels.

 

 

I love that. If you could share one piece of advice to people hoping to live their dreams, what would it be?

One piece of advice I would have is to never give up. There are always going to be people who think your dreams are stupid and not worth it, but you need to know that there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. If you fight hard enough, you can break through the walls that are holding you down. Also, you need to learn from the criticism you receive. If you mess up in the spelling, make sure you have spell check or a dictionary handy. If you are bad with communicating your ideas, take a class on it. Whatever you do just don't give up because you'll always wonder what could have happened if you didn’t. In following your dream, you end all possible doubts of what if and it could've been.

 

Excellent advice. Thank you so much for taking part, India! If you’d like to know more about India and her work, you can find her…

 
On Wattpad: India's Profile

On Wattpad again: Did I Kill Her?

On Instagram: 30secondstoindia

On Twitter: @Mars_Love412

And on quotev: indialuvs30stm

 

*’They’ being Jared Leto, because, well, reasons.

 

This interview has been edited, but the overall answers have not been changed or manipulated.