Tuesday, 4 March 2014

AND THE OSCAR GOES TO...


 
 

[Warning: This post  may  contains   traces of   a few   perhaps a little   a bucket load   enough Feels to flood the entire world, Old Testament style.]

 

Ahem. So, if you are anything like I’ve been for the past 26 years, you probably didn’t know the Oscars were on today. In fact if you’d told me last year that I’d be counting down to the Oscars and rooting for a particular celebrity with the fierceness of a mama lion, I’d have laughed at you. Me? Care about the Oscars? Un-bloody-likely.  Why would I? I don’t care who won an award and who was wearing what. It had no bearing on my life whatsoever…Until this year. This year, everything changed. This year, someone who I admire (love, adore, fangirl-over-in-a-slightly-creepy-way) was nominated for an Oscar for the first time. On the (extremely) minute chance that you don’t know who I’m referring to, that would be this handsome devil here:
 
 
 


You’re welcome.

 

If you need a reminder about why I adore Jared Leto, you can find examples here, here and here.

 

Now, even if you didn’t watch the Oscars, I imagine that you’ve heard that Jared Leto took home the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in Dallas Buyers Club. And if you heard that because you’re following me on Twitter, I’M SO SORRY. Honestly I’m surprised I wasn’t thrown in Twitter-jail for my extreme tweeting spree. So really it’s Twitter’s fault, not mine!Just be thankful that you aren’t following me on my super-secret fangirl-over-Thirty-Seconds-To-Mars account…Unless you’re following me on both, in which case…You must be an Echelon, therefore you get me :p

 

Now, the main point of this blog post other than the obvious: to fawn over pictures of the stunning Leto family --
 
 

 
 
 
 
Bought my fate
Straight from hell
Second sight
Has paid off well
For a mother
A brother
and me…
 
-- is to talk about this man and celebrate his amazing achievements. Let’s begin by looking at his acceptance speech from today. Several sources (such as MTV and Mashable) have stated that it may be the best acceptance speech EVER (though his speech at the Spirit Awards is probably a very close second…I mean he thanked the makers of vegan butter, baby Jesus and all the plants and animals on the planet :p), and I think I’d have to agree. Try not to cry while you read it (though when you watch the YouTube clip at the end of this post, you’ll probably drown in your own tears.) You can find the full transcript of his speech as he wrote it on Notes From The Outernet. There are very few differences between what he wrote and what he said, but I’ve written his speech as he said it here:
 
 
“Incredible. Ellen, I love you. To my fellow nominees, I’m so proud to share this journey with you. I’m in awe, and I have so much respect for you all.  To the Academy: Thank you.
In 1971, Bossier City, Louisiana.  There was a teenage girl who was pregnant with her second child. She was a high school dropout and a single mom. But somehow, she managed to make a better life for herself and her children. She encouraged her kids to be creative, to work hard, and to do something special. That girl is my mother and she’s here tonight. And I just want to say, I love you, Mom. Thank you for teaching me to dream.
To my brother, Shannon, the best big brother in the world: You’re a true artist; thank you so much for sharing this insane and amazing adventure that is Thirty Seconds To Mars, and for being my best friend. I love you.
To all the dreamers out there around the world watching this tonight, in places like the Ukraine and Venezuela – I want to say, we are here, and as you struggle to make your dreams happen, to live the impossible, we’re thinking of you tonight.
And this is incredibly special as well because there’s so many people who helped me get here, and I just want to say thank you to Focus Features, to Mick Sullivan, to Jim Toth, to Jason Weinberg, to Emma Ludbrook, to Cali Adams, to the entire Dallas Buyers Club team – Matthew, I love you, Jean Marc, and this is for the 36 million people who have lost the battle to AIDS, and to those of you out there who have ever felt injustice because of who you are or who you love; tonight, I stand in front of the world, with you and for you.
Thank you so much, and goodnight.”
 
 
I’ll give you a moment to stop sobbing.
It’s okay, I can wait.
 
This, ladies and gentlemen, is why I love Jared Leto. He is a dreamer. He is inspiring on a level I have never experienced before. He takes moments like these where the spotlight is on him and shines a light on other problems and raises awareness. He shares his success with everyone to the point of even wanting to give it away. If you’re not familiar with the band, whenever they win an award it’s always, ‘Echelon*, you won this. You did this. This is your award.’ It’s never about him; it’s always about the people who helped him to get there. I know some people feel he didn’t cover certain topics in enough detail during his speech today, but honestly, I’m not sure what more can be expected of him. Especially when you take into account ALL of the interviews and acceptance speeches he has done over the course of this awards season. He has gone above and beyond to thank and include every person and every issue related to Dallas Buyers Club. And let’s not forget how he passed around a bucket for donations to go towards AIDs research during the Thirty Seconds To Mars show at the Hollywood Bowl last October. If you watch every interview and acceptance speech he has done this season, I’d venture that you’d be hard pressed to find something to be upset about. And there’s been a lot – the Oscar is award number 30-something, and will be joining the [metaphorical] trophy case on his kitchen bench next to the vegan butter and the popcorn.
No, really. That’s where he keeps his awards. See?


 
 
Well, there in and in his guest bathroom :3

(Really, to those of you talking about how stuck up he is and all that nonsense, I have to ask…Do you even know anything about him at all??)

 

He is the biggest inspiration in my life, and sometimes I worry that I am fangirling too hard on this blog (be grateful most of you don’t know me in real life!) and that you’ll think I’m crazy pants (I am), but honestly, today I couldn’t care less. Today Jared Joseph Freaking Leto won an Academy Award. Today the kid who grew up food stamp poor and who thought he’d grow up to be a drug dealer** showed us we really can dream as big as we want to because ANYTHING is possible. Today the kid who used to break into other people’s houses just to sit in their living rooms gave us a reason to hope that we too can achieve the seemingly impossible. Today Jared Joseph Freaking Leto gave us yet another reason to love him, admire him and adore him, because today Jared Joseph Freaking Leto became ACADEMY AWARD WINNER JARED JOSEPH FREAKING LETO despite being certain that "they don't give Oscars to people like me."

And YES I know his middle name. I don’t care if that’s weird.

 

Jared, though you’ll never read this (oh God I hope not), I just want to say thank you. YOU are the reason we dream out loud. YOU are the reason so many people believe in themselves, believe that life can be better. YOU are the reason people all over the world are choosing to live their lives as they dream it. We could NOT be prouder. CONGRATULATIONS. In your own words at the Golden Globes… “I love you, thank you, bye.”
 
 
 
Xo

*The Thirty Seconds To Mars family of freaks and weirdos :3

**Or a painter

 

Unrelated, but I’d just like to remind the world that I will be meeting Academy Award Winner Jared Leto in TWENTY-ONE DAYS OH MY LORD.




Let's all cry over this together.