Friday, 25 April 2014

Just when you thought you couldn't love and respect him any MORE...

...He goes and does this.

Let's just love him forever, okay? Okay.

I have never met a more inspiring person. Ever.

[On a related note...Holy guacamole; I can say that. met him. Let's just all take a moment to process that.]

While I'm processing that (it may take some time), let's just watch these and get ourselves motivated to live, to inspire other people, to be kind to one another, to be who we want to be, and to dream out loud. I've transcribed each one as well, because, you know, I love words. Words are awesome :3

Enjoy!

Xo


Bystander Revolution: Jared Leto | Owning Yourself




As a kid who was pretty different himself, I think that – you know what I would tell people who are individuals out there is that you’re the ones who inherit the earth. Believe in yourself and be patient, and be as different as you want to be. You have every right to do that. It may be difficult and lonely at times, but there is no greater privilege than owning yourself.”





Bystander Revolution: Jared Leto | Make Amends











"When I was a kid, on more than one occasion I got in a fight with somebody in the schoolyard, and the next day they were, you know, close friends. That doesn’t always happen and it’s not a great way to make a good friend, but there are opportunities for people to take some of their mistakes and make them right. And there’s nothing more powerful than somebody who has made a mistake to promptly admit it and to make amends. That can be an incredible thing, and I think a lot of people have probably done that. Have had regret, have changed and have learned that what they’ve done has hurt other people and have come back and said ‘You know what? Hey, I messed up. I’m sorry, and, you know, I’d like to make it right.’ You know for people that have done that out there, who have picked on other people and bullied, it’s never too late to just to – just to stop and be like ‘Hey. I’m tired of being the asshole. Today I’m going to start being someone else.’




 Bystander Revolution: Jared Leto | Get Offline








Cyber bulling and the online world can be a veil that people hide behind to, you know, a perceived greater strength. But really it’s not, and I think when things are in print and we see words on a computer or a phone, they can be incredibly hurtful because in some way, we sense that they can live forever. You know there’s a lot in life that doesn't happen online and you know if people are having a tough time online, my suggestion would be to get offline. To get into the real world – into the physical world – and to give it a break, you know, to start again. Build a new community. So, you know, look at where you’re hanging out. Who you’re hanging out with. Sometimes those places or those people that you may want to be around aren’t so important after all.





Bystander Revolution: Jared Leto | Stand Up For Yourself





When I was a kid, I would often stand up to people, and I think that people had a sense. They knew that even though I was skinny and small – and I certainly wasn’t the toughest kid on the block – that I wasn’t going to let you get away with it. So there’s something to that, to standing up for yourself and saying, ‘You know what? No.’ Because a lot of times, the dog’s bark is worse than the bite. So I found that to be true a lot of times. But it’s difficult to encourage some young person to confront someone else because that can lead to escalation. But I think it’s okay to stand up for yourself. I think it’s okay to look someone in the eye and tell them to stop and to demand some respect.”



Bystander Revolution: Jared Leto | Say Hi



When I was a kid I moved around quite a bit. I was often ‘the new kid’. I don’t remember ever being taught to say hello to other students. I wonder if they do that now, but I think that’s a really simple thing and an easy thing when there’s a new kid just to say hi. It doesn’t take a lot of work to say hi. It doesn’t take a great deal of commitment. But just to be [say] hi and smile at somebody and to say ‘where are you from?’ or ‘welcome’. But that’s a – it’d be a nice thing if they reminded us to do that more often, ‘cause it can go a long way and help people feel comfortable and at home in their new surroundings.



As a teacher (and as a human being), I wholeheartedly agree with everything he has said. A few simple acts can go a long way to help take the power out of bulling, and to help those who feel victimized or persecuted because of who they are, where they live, what they look like, who they are friends with or whatever other completely ridiculous ways bullies can make others feel inferior. To learn more about the Bystander Revolution project, or to find advice about what you can do if you or someone you know is being bullied, check out their website: http://www.bystanderrevolution.org. It only takes one.