Saturday, 1 November 2014

NaNoWriMo 2014

It’s here! National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) has arrived!

For those of you who don’t know, NaNoWriMo is a month long novel writing challenge aimed at getting participants to write 50,000 (yes, fifty THOUSAND) words during the month of November. It’s a big task that averages out to 1667 words per day, and it’s a task that I’ve decided to take on.

Yep.
That’s right. 

For the first time ever, I’ve decided to put aside my fear and officially participate. I’ve thought about doing it for the last few years, but I’ve always been scared I wouldn’t “win”, which is, of course, completely ridiculous, but I’m a perfectionist and really what is the point of doing anything if you aren’t going to go all the way?? All or nothing. That’s how I roll. Nevertheless, I’ve decided to suck it up and try this year. Try and fail, but never fail to try, right? The challenge officially starts RIGHT NOW and goes until midnight on November 30. During that time, the only words that will be counted are the ones in the novel I have chosen to work on. Blog posts, shorts, and tweets (ha!) are just empty words (which sucks because literally all I can think about right now are the shorts. They are haunting me like you wouldn’t believe). I hope that by the end of the month I have 50,000 words, but even if I don’t, I’m proud of myself for taking the first step. I know it’s going to be hard. I know there’ll be days where I struggle to string a sentence together. But I’m going to try anyway. After all, you know what they* say: 

Work, work, work, work and work. Write, write, write, write and write. Even if you’re uninspired. Just show up and write. Just write and write and write.

Write.
Wish me luck!



*They being one Mr Leto. As always.